Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Why do I sin?

Augustine wrote that when he was young he stole pears. He wasn't stealing them because he wanted the pears. He stole because he loved sinning.

I was upset really late last night. You ever wonder if God gets tired of you falling at the alter for the same thing? Eventually ya get to thinking, I'm not even as torn about it as I used to be, this is bad. Then when I finally decided to flee to the word I read Romans and for the purpose of this post I'm focusing on 1:18-32. I knew exactly what I was doing and it sufficiently scared the pants off of me.

I don't want to be given over to my sin. I want the truth of God. Theology and RATS (Resident Assistant Training Seminar) yesterday had me thinking about martyrs and God's goodness. Following Christ requires at least a figurative death to a life of sin that is congruent with the world. It can also be a death to the culture we once called our own or the complete giving up of freedoms we once thought necessary and beneficiary, but we now consider them loss.

7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ. (Philippians 3:7-8) 1
God's goodness is worth pursuing. It is better than being turned over to our sin. I know I've begged God to not let me go. I was scared. Fear of punishment should not be my motivation, though I admit it has been at times, instead I should desire the goodness of God. This is an uphill battle that is worth ever triumph and grace for every fall. Who's with me?


1 The original context is about putting confidence in those who were circumcised and wrongly thought themselves better in the eyes of God. But I think it's not too much of a stretch to use this verse in this setting as well.)


No comments: