Monday, February 19, 2007

The Offence

Today I read Kierkegaard. Yeah I know, existentialist thinking, but still Christian and with some pretty darn good ideas for the church.

Suffice it to say. Christ was, is, and should be offensive. And as Christians that does not necessarily mean that we are to offend, the gospel does that on its own (believe me, I got offended today). One of my classmates said is well in his thesis when he wrote,
"It is only by restoring the offensiveness of Jesus Christ's life and ministry that an authentic Christianity can be fostered, for faith believes despite offense." - Evan Persons
I will go out on a limb to say that domesticated Christianity is killing the faith walk of the church. Am I making generalizations? Yes. But am terribly far off regarding the Evangelical church? I don't think so. I like what S.K. says in Training In Christianity,
"The decisive mark of Christian suffering is the fact that it is voluntary, and that is the possibility of offence for the sufferer. We read of the Apostles that they forsook all to follow Christ."
Have we lost the voluntary action of giving it all up to follow Christ. What on earth does that look like? Is it what Jesus told the rich young ruler? Are we ALL to sell ALL of our possessions, give to the poor, and follow in faith. Where do we go? What do we do? It's a different calling for all isn't it?

This is a difficult matter to reconcile into the "American Dream" which I think is very un-Christian, but that's another can of worms. So with the American mindset how do we treat the offense of a willingly suffering servant savior? Why on earth would God become man? It is offensive, but on the other side of offense I find faith. He is what he is and I know not why, I only know that he has saved me and for that I can only hope to respond in the way that I have been "predestined" (that one is for you Bryan, even if I cringe in typing it. I'm screaming offence and yet I was so upset about getting offended earlier . . . strange isn't it? Yet still, strangely comforting).

You've made it through. Congrats and may you be blessed as you work through your own offence. Faith is worth it. Trust me.




No comments: